Overview of Urea
What is Urea?
It is done to evaluate the health of your kidneys. It can be done as a part of basic metabolic panel or when you have signs or symptoms suggestive of kidney disease like swelling of face, ankle, lower back pain, changes in urine output etc. It should also be done to monitor the treatment if you are already diagnosed with a kidney disease or in dialysis patients. The test may also be ordered prior to or during certain drug treatment to monitor the kidney function.
The sample type collected for Urea is: Blood
Preparation for Urea
- No special preparation required
Why Get Tested for Urea?
- As a part of routine health check up or kidney function test
- If you have signs or symptoms of kidney disease like swelling or puffiness around the eyes, face, wrists, blood in urine, decrease amount of urine, poor appetite, mid back pain, high blood pressure
- It may also be ordered to monitor your kidney function if you have chronic disease like diabetes, myocardial infarct or heart failure
- To monitor the effectiveness of dialysis
What Results of Urea mean?
- Increased BUN levels suggest kidney dysfunction which may be due to acute or chronic kidney disease, or rarely due to congestive heart failure, stress, shock, dehydration etc
- Decreased BUN levels are not common and usually not a cause for concern. It may be seen in severe liver disease or malnutrition.
Patient Concerns about Urea
Frequently Asked Questions about Urea
Q. Does diet influence the urea levels?
Yes, high protein diet increases the urea levels
Q. What is the difference between blood urea nitrogen and urea?
Urea is a waste product of the kidneys and BUN measures the amount of nitrogen in a given amount of urea. The formula to convert BUN into urea is Urea = BUN X 2.14
General Diagnostics Pvt Ltd is a medical technology company and provider of high-end Preventive Screening and Diagnostic tests with a special focus on metabolomics. General Diagnostics Pvt Ltd is also a Technology Solution Provider to laboratories world-wide offering services based on high end chromatographic instruments. Since its inception about a decade ago, General Diagnostics Pvt Ltd has been continually evolving, transforming and thriving in this ever changing field through its innovations, operational efficiency, and creation of breakthrough solutions. General Diagnostics Pvt Ltd has to its credit the world's most comprehensive genetic metabolic screening test, in addition to several other preventive tests which help address health conditions like diabetes, weight problems, food intolerances, allergies and dysbiosis.