NABL, CAP, ISO
Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Potassium
This test is ordered as a part of your routine physical check up, or when an electrolyte imbalance is suspected, or you have disease or conditions which can affect your potassium levels like kidney disease or hypertension. Your doctor will also order this test if you are taking certain drugs which can affect potassium levels.
Why Get Tested
- As a part of basic metabolic panel or electrolyte profile
- If you are being evaluated for kidney disease
- If you have symptoms such as muscle weakness, irregolar heart beat
- Potassium testing is routinely ordered when a doctor is diagnosing and evaluating hypertension, diabetic ketoacidosis or when monitoring a patient receiving dialysis or intravenous fluids
- No special preparation required
What Results of Potassium mean?
- High potassium level called hyperkalemia may be seen in conditions such as kidney disease, diabetes, dehydration, Addison’s disease, consuming too much potassium or certain drugs like beta blockers, NSAIDS, ACE inhibitors etc
- Low potassium level called as hypokalemia may be seen in severe vomiting, diarrhea, certain drugs like steroids, antibiotics like gentamycin
Patient Concerns about Potassium
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What are good dietary sources of potassium?
Foods high in potassium include a number of fruits and vegetables such as bananas, grapefruit, oranges, tomatoes, potatoes
We focus on providing patients quality diagnostic healthcare services in India. Through our network, we offer patients convenient locations for their diagnostic healthcare services and efficient service. With over 3368 diagnostic and related healthcare tests and services offered, we believe we are capable of performing substantially all of the diagnostic healthcare tests and services currently prescribed by physicians in India. Our key competitive strengths are: Business model focused on the patient as a customer and an established consumer healthcare brand associated with quality services, in a market where patients generally choose their diagnostic healthcare service provider. Well-positioned to leverage upon one of the fastest-growing segments of the Indian healthcare industry. A network whose growth yields greater economies of scale, combined with a hub and spoke model that is scalable for further growth. Centralized information technology platform that fully integrates our network and is scalable. Attractive financial performance, financial profile and return on invested capital. Experienced leadership team with strong industry expertise and successful track record. Some of our laboratories have achieved International Organization for Standardization, or ISO, certification for their quality systems. Our National Reference Laboratory has obtained ISO 9001:2008 certification (for the performance of routine and advanced diagnostic pathology testing services, including clinical trials), ISO 15189:2007 (for quality management in medical laboratories), ISO 15189:2012 certification (in the field of medical testing) and ISO 27001:2013 certification (for establishing an effective information management system that maintains and processes information security at our data center).