Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Dehydroepiandrosterone Sulphate
This test is usually ordered when a girl has excess facial or body hair, acne, absence of menstrual periods, decreased breast size or a women has infertility; when a boy shows signs of early puberty, such as deep voice, pubic hair or muscle development.
Why Get Tested
- If a woman has signs or symptoms such as amenorrhea, infertility or those of virilization like deep voice, excess facial or body hair, acne, decreased breast size
- It may be ordered to evaluate the function of adrenal gland
- Do not eat or drink anything other than water for 8-12 hours before the test.
What Results of Dehydroepiandrosterone Sulphate mean?
- Normal DHEAS with normal androgen levels usually indicate that the adrenal gland is functioning normally
- A high DHEAS may indicate an adrenocortical tumor, Cushing's disease, adrenal cancer or adrenal hyperplasia. It is not diagnostic of a specific condition, further testing may then be required to confirm the diagnosis of the above mentioned conditions
- DHEAS may be elevated with polycystic ovarian syndrome
- A low level of DHEAS may be due to adrenal insufficiency, Addison's disease, hypopituitarism
Clinico Diagnostic Centre is committed towards a common goal of achieving total Patient Care and Confidence by delivering excellent diagnostic reports and clinical services. This committment and responsibility is practised and communicated by the Top Management through. Achieving the likelihood of desired health outcomes that are consistent with current professional knowledge.