Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Anti Cyclic Citrullinated Peptide Antibody
A CCP antibody test is primarily ordered along with a Rheumatoid factor test when someone has signs and symptoms that may be due to previously undiagnosed inflammatory arthritis or has been diagnosed with undifferentiated arthritis. It may be ordered as a follow-up test to a negative Rheumatoid factor test when clinical signs and symptoms lead a health practitioner to suspect Rheumatoid arthritis. RA usually affects multiple joints symmetrically. Signs and symptoms may include painful, warm, swollen joints of the hands and wrists most commonly, pain sometimes affecting elbows, neck, shoulders, hips, knees, and/or feet, stiffness of affected joints in the morning that improves during the course of the day, fatigue, development of nodules under the skin, especially at the elbows.
Why Get Tested
- If you have signs and symptoms suggestive of rheumatoid arthritis like painfol,warm, swollen joints most frequently of the hands and wrists, stiffness in the affected joints, fever, development of nodoles under the skin, fatigue
- It may be ordered as a follow up test if the rheumatoid factor test is negative and the clinician has a strong suspicion of Rheumatoid arthritis
- No special preparation required
What Results of Anti Cyclic Citrullinated Peptide Antibody mean?
- If the signs and symptoms are suggestive of rheumatoid arthritis and the patient's anti cyclic citrullinated antibody along with rheumatoid factor are positive, it strongly suggests rheumatoid arthritis. These patient's may develop a more rapidly progressive and severe form of the disease
- If anti CCP antibody level is negative but Rheumatoid factor is positive, then clinical signs and symptoms are more important in making a diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis
- If both anti CCP antibody and rheumatoid factor are negative, then it is unlikely that a person has rheumatoid arthritis
- It is very important to note that rheumatoid arthritis is a clinical diagnosis and may be made in the absence of positive tests for autoantibodies
Clinico Diagnostic Centre is committed towards a common goal of achieving total Patient Care and Confidence by delivering excellent diagnostic reports and clinical services. This committment and responsibility is practised and communicated by the Top Management through. Achieving the likelihood of desired health outcomes that are consistent with current professional knowledge.