Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate
This is a non specific test which helps detect any inflammation in your body. It is usually ordered if you are experiencing fever, weight loss, muscle pain or any symptoms which suggest an autoimmune disorders, arthritis or infections. This test is rarely performed alone, it is usually combined with other tests to determine the cause of symptoms.
Why Get Tested
- When your doctor thinks that you might have a condition causing inflammation like tubercolosis, arthritis, inflammatory bowel diseases or any autoimmune disorder
- When you have symptoms of vascolitis like fever, headaches, poor appetite, unexplained weight loss
- No special preparation required
What Results of Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate mean?
- Moderately elevated ESR occurs with inflammation but can also occur with anemia, infection, pregnancy
- A very high ESR usually has an obvious cause like severe infection, vasculitis like temporal arteritis etc
ESR is a non specific marker of inflammation and is affected by other factors. Therefore, the results are often interpreted with clinical findings and other investigations.
Patient Concerns about Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Can the ESR become low as well?
Yes, low ESR can be seen with conditions like leucocytosis, polycythemia, or sickle cell anemia.
1MG labs (powered by Igenetic Diagnostics) offers highest quality diagnostic services at the convenience of your doorstep. We pride ourselves on three things 1) Assured Quality 2) Best Prices 3) Excellent Turn Around Time. We believe in providing the highest level of transparency to our customers. Our partner labs have accreditations like NABL and ISO, the gold standards of quality in diagnostics. Our entire team is dedicated to providing the best customer experience and continues strives to come up with solutions to remain in line with the needs of our customers.