Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Blood Urea Nitrogen
It is done to evaluate the health of your kidneys. It can be done as a part of basic metabolic panel or when you have signs or symptoms suggestive of kidney disease like swelling of face, ankle, lower back pain, changes in urine output etc. It should also be done to monitor the treatment if you are already diagnosed with a kidney disease or in dialysis patients. The test may also be ordered prior to or during certain drug treatment to monitor the kidney function.
Why Get Tested
- As a part of routine health check up, kidney function test or basic metabolic panel
- If you have signs or symptoms of kidney disease like swelling or puffiness around the eyes; face;wrists, blood in urine, decrease amount of urine, poor appetite, mid back pain, high blood pressure
- It may also be ordered to monitor your kidney function if you have chronic disease like diabetes, myocardial infarct or heart failure
- To monitor the effectiveness of dialysis
- No special preparation required
What Results of Blood Urea Nitrogen mean?
- Increased BUN level suggest kidney dysfunction which may be due to acute or chronic kidney disease, or rarely due to congestive heart failure, stress, shock, dehydration etc
- Low BUN levels are not common and usually not a cause for concern. It may be seen in severe liver disease or malnutrition.
Patient Concerns about Blood Urea Nitrogen
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What other tests are used along with BUN to test the function of my kidneys?
BUN and Creatinine are two primary tests which are used to test kidney function.
Q. Does diet influence the BUN levels?
Yes, high protein diet can lead to increased BUN levels.
1MG labs (powered by Igenetic Diagnostics) offers highest quality diagnostic services at the convenience of your doorstep. We pride ourselves on three things 1) Assured Quality 2) Best Prices 3) Excellent Turn Around Time. We believe in providing the highest level of transparency to our customers. Our partner labs have accreditations like NABL and ISO, the gold standards of quality in diagnostics. Our entire team is dedicated to providing the best customer experience and continues strives to come up with solutions to remain in line with the needs of our customers.