Overview of Vitamin Profile
What is Vitamin Profile?
Vitamins and minerals are essential nutrients for human life. Unhealthy eating habits and adulteration of food can lead to depletion of these vital nutrients & limit the ability of our body to fight against infections. This profile is specially designed to test for common vitamin deficiencies especially Vitamin D, Vitamin B12 and folic acid.
The sample type collected for Vitamin Profile is: Blood
Preparation for Vitamin Profile
- No special preparation required
Why Get Tested for Vitamin Profile?
- If you have symptoms of vitamin D deficiency like bone malformation in children (rickets), bone weakness or fractures in adolts (osteomalacia)
- If you have risk factors for vitamin D deficiency like old age, limited sun exposure, obesity, you have undergone gastric bypass surgery
- If you have symptoms of anemia like weakness, tiredness, pale skin which might indicate vitamin B12 or folic acid deficiency
- If you have symptoms or signs of nerve problems like numbness, burning in hands, feet, arms,tingling sensation which may be due to vitamin B12 deficiency
What Results of Vitamin Profile mean?
- Low levels of vitamin B12 may be caused by vegetarian diet, improper absorption from intestine, lack of intrinsic factor
- High levels of vitamin B 12 are rare and may be caused by liver disease or myeloproliferative disorder
- Low levels of folic acid may be caused by malnutrition, chronic alcoholism, folic acid deficiency anemia
- Low levels of vitamin D can be due to improper diet, malabsorption, or decreased exposure to sunlight
Tests Included in Vitamin Profile(3 tests)
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin B 9