Overview of IgE
What is IgE?
A total IgE test may be ordered when you have periodic or persistent symptoms that may be due to an allergic reaction. Symptoms may include those that suggest skin, respiratory, and/or digestive involvement, like itching, itchy eyes, eczema, nausea, vomiting, sneezing, coughing, difficulty breathing, or Asthma symptoms: wheezing, breathlessness, coughing, tightness in the chest. It is also ordered when a doctor suspects a parasitic infection.
Why is IgE done?
- If you have symptoms suggesting an allergic disorder like periodic or persistent itching, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, eczema, itchy eyes, sneezing, coughing etc.
- If your doctor is suspecting a parasitic infection
Preparation for IgE
- No special preparation required
Sample Type for IgE
The sample type collected for Total IgE is: Blood
Interpreting IgE results
- If your total IgE level is increased, it usually indicates that you are suffering from one or more allergies. Sometimes, increased levels are also associated with parasitic infections.
- An elevated IgE indicates an allergic process but does not indicate what a person is allergic to. In general, the greater the number of things a person is allergic to, the higher is the IgE level.
Answers to Patient Concerns & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about IgE
Frequently Asked Questions about Total IgE
Q. How effective is the skin test for allergies?
The skin of the arm is pricked by needle containing the specified allergen, causing a red swelling when positive. It is a very specific test but requires multiple pricks for each type of allergen to be tested.
Thyrocare Technologies Limited is India's first and most advanced Totally Automated Laboratory having its strong presence in more than 2000 cities / towns in India and internationally. Thyrocare is India's first fully automated diagnostic laboratory with a focus on providing quality at affordable costs to laboratories and hospitals in India and other countries. Thyrocare operates with a Centralized Processing Laboratory (CPL) in Mumbai - India for esoteric tests; and Regional Processing Laboratory in major metro cities of India and other parts of Asia. We have focus on strong technologies, strong brands and strong systems that enable all laboratories to give their clients the best of science and technology at an affordable cost. With a belief that 'Quality' is the heart of any intelligent management, Thyrocare became one of the first Indian diagnostic laboratories to obtain internationally renowned quality accreditations like ISO 9001-2000 rating as early as 2001, which is now escalated to ISO 9001:2008; NABL (National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories) in 2005 and CAP (College of American Pathologists) certification in 2007.
Excellent service and delivery in very short period. Highly impressive
Himadri Shekhar Das