Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Serum Electrolyte
An electrolyte panel includes the evaluation of your blood levels of sodium, potassium and chloride. It may be ordered as part of a routine screening or as a diagnostic aid when you have symptoms, such as edema, nausea, weakness, confusion, or cardiac arrhythmias which might be due to an electrolyte imbalance. It is frequently ordered as part of an evaluation when you have an acute or chronic illness. Electrolyte tests are commonly used to monitor treatment of certain problems, including high blood pressure (hypertension), heart failure, and liver and kidney disease.
Why Get Tested
- If you have signs or symptoms suggesting an electrolyte imbalance like edema, nausea, vomiting, confusion, irregolar heart beat
- If you are hospitalized for severe acute or chronic illness
- As a part of basic metabolic panel or electrolyte panel
- It is frequently ordered at regolar intervals to monitor treatment of conditions like high blood pressure, heart failure, kidney disease or lung disease
- No special preparation required
What Results of Serum Electrolyte mean?
- Low levels of sodium (hyponatremia) may be due to loosing too much sodium such as in diarrhea, vomiting, excessive sweating, heart failure or kidney disease while the most common cause of high sodium level (hypernatremia) is dehydration
- Low levels of potassium (hypokalemia) is usually due to diarrhea and vomiting while high potassium level (hyperkalemia) may be seen in kidney disease, Addison disease, dehydration
- Low levels of chloride can be seen in Cushing syndrome or congestive heart failure while high levels may be seen dehydration, kidney disease
Tests Included in Serum Electrolyte(3 tests)
Thyrocare Technologies Limited is India's first and most advanced Totally Automated Laboratory having its strong presence in more than 2000 cities / towns in India and internationally. Thyrocare is India's first fully automated diagnostic laboratory with a focus on providing quality at affordable costs to laboratories and hospitals in India and other countries. Thyrocare operates with a Centralized Processing Laboratory (CPL) in Mumbai - India for esoteric tests; and Regional Processing Laboratory in major metro cities of India and other parts of Asia. We have focus on strong technologies, strong brands and strong systems that enable all laboratories to give their clients the best of science and technology at an affordable cost. With a belief that 'Quality' is the heart of any intelligent management, Thyrocare became one of the first Indian diagnostic laboratories to obtain internationally renowned quality accreditations like ISO 9001-2000 rating as early as 2001, which is now escalated to ISO 9001:2008; NABL (National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories) in 2005 and CAP (College of American Pathologists) certification in 2007.
Excellent service and delivery in very short period. Highly impressive
Himadri Shekhar Das