Overview of Bilirubin Total
What is Bilirubin Total?
It is usually ordered when you have signs or symptoms of liver damage, liver disease like jaundice, dark urine, nausea, vomiting; when you have evidence of bile duct blockage or hemolytic anemia. Sometimes, it is also ordered in newborns with jaundice.
The sample type collected for Bilirubin Total is: Blood
Preparation for Bilirubin Total
- No special preparation required
Why Get Tested for Bilirubin Total?
- If you have signs or symptoms of liver disease like dark colored urine, jaundice, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, fatigue
- As a part of liver function test or routine health check up
- If you have a history of taking excess amounts of alcohol
- If you have been exposed to hepatitis causing virus
- If you have symptoms or signs of hemolytic anemia like pale skin, jaundice, splenomegaly
- In newborns, to monitor neonatal jaundice
What Results of Bilirubin Total mean?
- Increased total bilirubin which is mainly unconjugated may be due to hemolytic anemia, transfusion reactions
- Increased total bilirubin which is mainly conjugated may be due to viral hepatitis, drug reactions, alcoholic liver disease, gall stones or any obstruction in the bile ducts
- Low levels of bilirubin are usually not a cause for concern and therefore not monitored
Thyrocare Technologies Limited is India's first and most advanced Totally Automated Laboratory having its strong presence in more than 2000 cities / towns in India and internationally. Thyrocare is India's first fully automated diagnostic laboratory with a focus on providing quality at affordable costs to laboratories and hospitals in India and other countries. Thyrocare operates with a Centralized Processing Laboratory (CPL) in Mumbai - India for esoteric tests; and Regional Processing Laboratory in major metro cities of India and other parts of Asia. We have focus on strong technologies, strong brands and strong systems that enable all laboratories to give their clients the best of science and technology at an affordable cost. With a belief that 'Quality' is the heart of any intelligent management, Thyrocare became one of the first Indian diagnostic laboratories to obtain internationally renowned quality accreditations like ISO 9001-2000 rating as early as 2001, which is now escalated to ISO 9001:2008; NABL (National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories) in 2005 and CAP (College of American Pathologists) certification in 2007.
Excellent service and delivery in very short period. Highly impressive
Himadri Shekhar Das