NABL, NABH, ISO
Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Urea
It is done to evaluate the health of your kidneys. It can be done as a part of basic metabolic panel or when you have signs or symptoms suggestive of kidney disease like swelling of face, ankle, lower back pain, changes in urine output etc. It should also be done to monitor the treatment if you are already diagnosed with a kidney disease or in dialysis patients. The test may also be ordered prior to or during certain drug treatment to monitor the kidney function.
Why Get Tested
- As a part of routine health check up or kidney function test
- If you have signs or symptoms of kidney disease like swelling or puffiness around the eyes, face, wrists, blood in urine, decrease amount of urine, poor appetite, mid back pain, high blood pressure
- It may also be ordered to monitor your kidney function if you have chronic disease like diabetes, myocardial infarct or heart failure
- To monitor the effectiveness of dialysis
- No special preparation required
What Results of Urea mean?
- Increased BUN levels suggest kidney dysfunction which may be due to acute or chronic kidney disease, or rarely due to congestive heart failure, stress, shock, dehydration etc
- Decreased BUN levels are not common and usually not a cause for concern. It may be seen in severe liver disease or malnutrition.
Patient Concerns about Urea
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Does diet influence the urea levels?
Yes, high protein diet increases the urea levels
Q. What is the difference between blood urea nitrogen and urea?
Urea is a waste product of the kidneys and BUN measures the amount of nitrogen in a given amount of urea. The formula to convert BUN into urea is Urea = BUN X 2.14
Max Lab runs 11 NABL accredited, 24×7 operational laboratories in Delhi NCR, Punjab and Uttaranchal. Our labs are equipped with fully automated state-of-art technology and infrastructure to achieve the highest level of excellence and quality results. With over 500 highly trained staff and over 70 doctors who are trained in various sub-specialities at the best institutes in India and overseas, Max Lab boasts of having highly qualified haematologists, histopathologists, biochemists and microbiologists. We evaluate over 50, 00,000 samples every year with access to sample quantities not readily available to most institutions. This depth of experience directly benefits us in catering to the patient with complex or rare cases and in interpreting unusual results. At the core of our expertise is the ability to provide our patients with an extensive and ever-growing portfolio of cutting-edge and routine testing for a broad range of disease states. Our capability enables us to quickly and easily move from a sound diagnostic course of action to confident decision making for improved patient care. Max Healthcare, a leading name in the healthcare industry, brings its medical expertise and hospital-quality healthcare in the comfort of your home through Max@Home. With a special purpose to help people lead a life with independence and dignity, we deliver our services with compassion, excellence and reliability. To help you help you recover faster and lead a comfortable life, we provide nursing care attendants, physiotherapists and doctors for home visits. We also arrange for home sample collection and facilitate medical equipment on rent.