NABL, NABH, ISO
Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Prolactin
It is a hormone produced by a gland in the brain. In women, this test is ordered to investigate unexplained flow of breast milk, abnormal nipple discharge, menstrual irregularities or infertility while in men it helps in diagnosing cause of decreased libido or infertility. Rarely, a doctor can order this test when you have symptoms of high prolactin like headaches and visual disturbances. High levels may be seen in pregnancy or conditions like hypothyroidism, Polycystic ovarian disease, liver, kidney disease etc.
Why Get Tested
- If you have excess breast milk production which is not associated with pregnancy
- To diagnose the cause of infertility in and erectile dysfunction in men
- To diagnose the cause of menstrual irregolarities or infertility in women
- If you have symptoms of a tumor producing excess prolactin like headaches, visual impairement or abnormal nipple discharge
- Do not eat or drink anything other than water for 8-12 hours before the test.
- Blood sample should be collected 4 hours after waking.
What Results of Prolactin mean?
- High levels of prolactin may be seen normally during pregnancy or when you are nursing. It may also be seen with tumors that release prolactin like prolactinoma, hypothyroidism, pituitary disorders, hypothalamic diseases, kidney or liver diseases
- Low levels of prolactin are generally indicative of pituitary disease like hypopituitarism
Patient Concerns about Prolactin
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Are there any other conditions which can lead to variable prolactin levels?
Stress, seizures, lung cancer can cause moderate increase in prolactin levels. Drugs that can cause elevated prolactin levels include estrogen, opiates, methyl dopa
Max Lab runs 11 NABL accredited, 24×7 operational laboratories in Delhi NCR, Punjab and Uttaranchal. Our labs are equipped with fully automated state-of-art technology and infrastructure to achieve the highest level of excellence and quality results. With over 500 highly trained staff and over 70 doctors who are trained in various sub-specialities at the best institutes in India and overseas, Max Lab boasts of having highly qualified haematologists, histopathologists, biochemists and microbiologists. We evaluate over 50, 00,000 samples every year with access to sample quantities not readily available to most institutions. This depth of experience directly benefits us in catering to the patient with complex or rare cases and in interpreting unusual results. At the core of our expertise is the ability to provide our patients with an extensive and ever-growing portfolio of cutting-edge and routine testing for a broad range of disease states. Our capability enables us to quickly and easily move from a sound diagnostic course of action to confident decision making for improved patient care. Max Healthcare, a leading name in the healthcare industry, brings its medical expertise and hospital-quality healthcare in the comfort of your home through Max@Home. With a special purpose to help people lead a life with independence and dignity, we deliver our services with compassion, excellence and reliability. To help you help you recover faster and lead a comfortable life, we provide nursing care attendants, physiotherapists and doctors for home visits. We also arrange for home sample collection and facilitate medical equipment on rent.