NABL, NABH, ISO
Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Potassium
This test is ordered as a part of your routine physical check up, or when an electrolyte imbalance is suspected, or you have disease or conditions which can affect your potassium levels like kidney disease or hypertension. Your doctor will also order this test if you are taking certain drugs which can affect potassium levels.
Why Get Tested
- As a part of basic metabolic panel or electrolyte profile
- If you are being evaluated for kidney disease
- If you have symptoms such as muscle weakness, irregolar heart beat
- Potassium testing is routinely ordered when a doctor is diagnosing and evaluating hypertension, diabetic ketoacidosis or when monitoring a patient receiving dialysis or intravenous fluids
- No special preparation required
What Results of Potassium mean?
- High potassium level called hyperkalemia may be seen in conditions such as kidney disease, diabetes, dehydration, Addison’s disease, consuming too much potassium or certain drugs like beta blockers, NSAIDS, ACE inhibitors etc
- Low potassium level called as hypokalemia may be seen in severe vomiting, diarrhea, certain drugs like steroids, antibiotics like gentamycin
Patient Concerns about Potassium
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What are good dietary sources of potassium?
Foods high in potassium include a number of fruits and vegetables such as bananas, grapefruit, oranges, tomatoes, potatoes
Max Lab runs 11 NABL accredited, 24×7 operational laboratories in Delhi NCR, Punjab and Uttaranchal. Our labs are equipped with fully automated state-of-art technology and infrastructure to achieve the highest level of excellence and quality results. With over 500 highly trained staff and over 70 doctors who are trained in various sub-specialities at the best institutes in India and overseas, Max Lab boasts of having highly qualified haematologists, histopathologists, biochemists and microbiologists. We evaluate over 50, 00,000 samples every year with access to sample quantities not readily available to most institutions. This depth of experience directly benefits us in catering to the patient with complex or rare cases and in interpreting unusual results. At the core of our expertise is the ability to provide our patients with an extensive and ever-growing portfolio of cutting-edge and routine testing for a broad range of disease states. Our capability enables us to quickly and easily move from a sound diagnostic course of action to confident decision making for improved patient care. Max Healthcare, a leading name in the healthcare industry, brings its medical expertise and hospital-quality healthcare in the comfort of your home through Max@Home. With a special purpose to help people lead a life with independence and dignity, we deliver our services with compassion, excellence and reliability. To help you help you recover faster and lead a comfortable life, we provide nursing care attendants, physiotherapists and doctors for home visits. We also arrange for home sample collection and facilitate medical equipment on rent.