NABL, NABH, ISO
Overview of Follicle Stimulating Hormone
What is Follicle Stimulating Hormone?
This test is used in women, when you are having difficulty getting pregnant or you have irregular menstrual periods; in men, when your partner cannot get pregnant or you have a low sperm count; when your doctor thinks you have symptoms of pituitary or hypothalamic disease.
The sample type collected for Follicle Stimulating Hormone is: Blood
Preparation for Follicle Stimulating Hormone
- No special preparation required
Why Get Tested for Follicle Stimulating Hormone?
- In adolt women, FSH test may be ordered if you have difficolty in getting pregnant or have irregolar menstrual periods
- For men, it is usually ordered when your partner cannot get pregnant or you have low sperm count, low sex drive
- If you have symptoms of a pituitary or hypothalamic disorder
- In children, this test may be ordered when a boy or girl does not appear to be entering puberty at an appropriate age (either too early or too late)
What Results of Follicle Stimulating Hormone mean?
- In women, increased levels of LH and FSH are seen in primary ovarian failure which may be due to any chromosomal abnormality, exposure to chemotherapy, radiation therapy, polycystic ovarian disease, thyroid disease
- In men, high FSH levels indicate primary testicular failure which may be due to chromosomal abnormality, viral infection, chemotherapy or radiotherapy
- Low levels of LH and FSH are seen in secondary ovarian or testicular failure and indicate a problem with pituitary or hypothalamus
- In young children, high levels of LH and FSH with the development of secondary sexual characteristics at an unusually young age indicates precocious puberty which is usually due to problem with the central nervous system
Patient Concerns about Follicle Stimulating Hormone
Frequently Asked Questions about Follicle Stimulating Hormone
Q. What are the tests which my doctor will order if I am unable to get pregnant?
The tests which are usually ordered for an infertility work up are LH, FSH, testosterone, progesterone, anti mullerian hormone.
Max Lab runs 11 NABL accredited, 24×7 operational laboratories in Delhi NCR, Punjab and Uttaranchal. Our labs are equipped with fully automated state-of-art technology and infrastructure to achieve the highest level of excellence and quality results. With over 500 highly trained staff and over 70 doctors who are trained in various sub-specialities at the best institutes in India and overseas, Max Lab boasts of having highly qualified haematologists, histopathologists, biochemists and microbiologists. We evaluate over 50, 00,000 samples every year with access to sample quantities not readily available to most institutions. This depth of experience directly benefits us in catering to the patient with complex or rare cases and in interpreting unusual results. At the core of our expertise is the ability to provide our patients with an extensive and ever-growing portfolio of cutting-edge and routine testing for a broad range of disease states. Our capability enables us to quickly and easily move from a sound diagnostic course of action to confident decision making for improved patient care. Max Healthcare, a leading name in the healthcare industry, brings its medical expertise and hospital-quality healthcare in the comfort of your home through Max@Home. With a special purpose to help people lead a life with independence and dignity, we deliver our services with compassion, excellence and reliability. To help you help you recover faster and lead a comfortable life, we provide nursing care attendants, physiotherapists and doctors for home visits. We also arrange for home sample collection and facilitate medical equipment on rent.