NABL, CAP, ISO
Overview of Cholesterol - LDL
What is Cholesterol - LDL?
You should get a LDL cholesterol done as a part of regular examination with cholesterol test or lipid profile at least once every five years if you are above 40 years of age; or at regular intervals when you have risk factors for heart disease like smoking, high blood pressure, family history, diabetes mellitus are present, and/or to monitor effectiveness of treatment with drugs like statins.
The sample type collected for Cholesterol - LDL is: Blood
Preparation for Cholesterol - LDL
- No special preparation required
Why Get Tested for Cholesterol - LDL?
- As a part of lipid profile along with cholesterol, triglycerides and HDL
- As a part of routine health check up
- If you are already a diagnosed case of heart disease
- If you have risk factors for heart disease like cigarette smoking, hypertension, diabetes mellitus or a family history of heart disease
- Ideally, adolts shoold get this test done for screening purposes once every five years even if they don't have any risk factors
- If you are taking lipid lowering medicines
What Results of Cholesterol - LDL mean?
- If the LDL cholesterol level is less than 100 mg/dL - Optimal
- If it is between 100-129 mg/dL — Near optimal, above optimal
- Levels between 130-159 mg/dL — Borderline high
- Level between 160-189 mg/dL — High
- Greater than 189 mg/dL— Very high
Low levels of LDL cholesterol are not generally a concern and not monitored
Patient Concerns about Cholesterol - LDL
Frequently Asked Questions about Cholesterol - LDL
Q. What treatments are recommended for high LDL cholesterol levels?
Initially, lifestyle changes like low fat diet, exercise, cessation of smoking are recommended. Later on, if required lipid lowering drugs are advised.
Diagno Labs, established in the year 2012, is uniquely positioned to more effectively support local pathology for enhanced patient care. Diagno Labs, with complementary areas of expertise and service offerings, allows us to build on the company's leadership positions, provide access to medical and scientific expertise, expand geographical presence to better serve customers and emerge as the most valued company in the healthcare industry. Our Parent group RJ Corp is a well-diversified Indian MNC,with an annual turnover of over 15 billion rupees. Established in the 1990s, RJ Corp has achieved heights of success under the dynamic leadership and guidance of its founder-chairman Mr. Ravi Kant Jaipuria. The group has diversified business interests in beverages, breweries, real estate, hospitality, healthcare, education, dairy, food service and retail. Our network company, Cryobanks International India, is a leader in the collection, processing and banking of umbilical cord blood stem cells.