NABL, CAP, ISO
Overview of LH
What is LH?
This test is done for women, when you are having difficulty getting pregnant or are having irregular or heavy menstrual periods; when you are tracking ovulation during your menstrual cycle. For men, when your partner cannot get pregnant or you have a low sperm count, low muscle mass or decreased sex drive. It can also be done when your doctor thinks that you have symptoms of a pituitary disorder or hypothalamic disorder. Sometimes, it is also useful when a doctor suspects that a child has delayed or earlier than expected sexual maturation.
Why is LH done?
- In adolt women, this test is ordered if you are having difficolty getting pregnant, have irregolar menstrual periods or you are tracking ovolation during menstrual cycle
- In adolt men, it is usually ordered when your partner cannot get pregnant or you have low sperm count, low sex drive
- If you have symptoms of a pituitary or hypothalamic disorder
- In children, this test may be ordered when a boy or girl does not appear to be entering puberty at an appropriate age (either too early or too late)
Preparation for LH
- No special preparation required
Sample Type for LH
The sample type collected for Luteinising Hormone is: Blood
Interpreting LH results
- In women, increased levels of LH are seen in primary ovarian failure which may be due to any chromosomal abnormality, exposure to chemotherapy, radiation therapy, polycystic ovarian disease, thyroid disease
- In women who are trying to become pregnant, tests can be used to detect the surge that precedes ovulation. An LH surge indicates that ovulation has occurred
- The LH level rises during menopause, as the ovarian function caeses
- Low level of LH and FSH are seen in secondary ovarian or testicular failure and indicate a problem with pituitary or hypothalamus
- In men, high LH levels indicate primary testicular failure which may be due to chromosomal abnormality, viral infection, chemotherapy or radiotherapy
- In young children, high levels of LH and FSH with the development of secondary sexual characteristics at an unusually young age indicates precocious puberty which is usually due to problem with the central nervous system
Answers to Patient Concerns & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about LH
Frequently Asked Questions about Luteinising Hormone
Q. Is there a home test for LH?
Yes, there is a home test which uses urine sample to predict ovulation
Q. What are the tests which my doctor will order if I am unable to get pregnant?
The tests which are usually ordered for an infertility work up are LH, FSH, testosterone, progesterone, anti mullerian hormone.
About Thyrocare LaboratoriesThyrocare Technologies Limited is India's first and most advanced Totally Automated Laboratory having its strong presence in more than 2000 cities / towns in India and internationally. Thyrocare is India's first fully automated diagnostic laboratory with a focus on providing quality at affordable costs to laboratories and hospitals in India and other countries. Thyrocare operates with a Centralized Processing Laboratory (CPL) in Mumbai - India for esoteric tests; and Regional Processing Laboratory in major metro cities of India and other parts of Asia. We have focus on strong technologies, strong brands and strong systems that enable all laboratories to give their clients the best of science and technology at an affordable cost. With a belief that 'Quality' is the heart of any intelligent management, Thyrocare became one of the first Indian diagnostic laboratories to obtain internationally renowned quality accreditations like ISO 9001-2000 rating as early as 2001, which is now escalated to ISO 9001:2008; NABL (National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories) in 2005 and CAP (College of American Pathologists) certification in 2007.
User Reviews about Luteinising Hormone
Service was very excellent
Best service. On time delivery if reports. They did what they said.