What is CT PET WHOLE BODY WITH ANGIOGRAPHY?
CT PET whole body with angiography is an advanced imaging technique which combines both computed tomography (CT) and positron emission tomography (PET) in a single scan only. This imaging session allows to take detailed images of the tissues and to monitor their functions and structures. During the test glucose is injected with small dose of a radioactive contrast substance for better quality of the image result. This test helps to differentiate between normal and cancer cells as, tumor / cancer cells region consumes more amount of glucose compared to the normal cells. Besides this angiography uses a X-rays to visualize body’s blood vessels (arteries and veins which supplies blood to other parts of the body).
Why is CT PET WHOLE BODY WITH ANGIOGRAPHY done?
- To diagnose stage of cancer and the extent of cancer spread in the body
- To assess the body and heart condition before the chemotherapy (cancer treatment)
- To analyse the blood flow to the heart and heart diseases like heart attack, blockage in the artery wall, valves etc.
- To detect brain problems like memory disorder, seizures, parkinsons, alzheimers, neurodegenerative diseases or brain tumor
Preparation for CT PET WHOLE BODY WITH ANGIOGRAPHY
- Pregnant women should inform their doctor (and x-ray technician) as the radiations may affect the fetus. If needed, precautions can be taken to lower the radiation exposure to the fetus.
- You may have to remove your jewelry and any metal objects which might interfere with the image.
Mahajan Imaging Centre (RN)
Rajinder Nagar, NEW DELHI