What is H1N1?
This test is intended for the detection of Influenza A H1N1 virus (Swine Flu). Real Time PCR assay is based on the detection of 4 targets in the sample namely influenza A, H1 Influenza A, H1 Influenza A ( Subtype H1) & Human R Nase P gene which serves as a positive control for the presence of human nucleic acids.
- Valid Doctor's Prescription giving brief Clinical History.
- Form C is Mandatory for H1N1 test Booking.
Why is H1N1 done?
- Symptoms of swine flu in humans are similar to most influenza infections: fever (100 F or greater), cough, nasal secretions, fatigue, and headache.
- The incubation period for the disease is about one to four days.
- Swine flu is contagious about one day before symptoms develop to about five to seven days after symptoms develop; some patients may be contagious for a longer time span.
- The disease lasts about three to seven days with more serious infections lasting about 9 to 10 days.
Interpreting H1N1 results
- Swine flu is a respiratory disease caused by influenza viruses that infect the respiratory tract of pigs and result in a barking cough, decreased appetite, nasal secretions, and listless behavior; the virus can be transmitted to humans.
- Swine flu viruses may mutate (change) so that they are easily transmissible among humans.