Why Get Tested
- To monitor glucose or sugar levels if you are a diabetic
- To assess your kidney function if you have diabetes
- To diagnose diabetes, or gestational diabetes in pregnant women, as initial screening
Do not eat or drink anything except water at least 9 to 12 hours before the test.Take the first urine of the day in a plastic cup given to you. Allow a small stream of urine to flow by and then carefully hold the cup under urine. Make sure the cup doesn’t come in contact with your skin.
- High levels of glucose in the blood usually indicate diabetes. High levels can also be seen in pregnant women if they are suffering from gestational diabetes.
- However, high levels can also be seen with certain medicines like estrogen.