Overview of ACE
What is ACE?
When you have granulomas that produce small bumps under the skin, a lingering cough, red watery eyes, and/or other symptoms suggestive of sarcoidosis; regularly when you have active sarcoidosis to monitor its course.
Why is ACE done?
- If you have signs or symptoms suggestive of sarcoidosis like chronic cough or shortness of breath, watery eyes, joint pains or grnaolaomas
- If you have been already diagnosed with sarcoidosis, this test may be ordered routinely to monitor the disease activity
Preparation for ACE
- No special preparation required
Sample Type for ACE
The sample type collected for Angiotensin Converting Enzyme is: Blood
Interpreting ACE results
- An increased ACE level in a person with clinical findings suggestive of sarcoidosis means that it is likely that a person has an active case of sarcoidosis, if other diseases have been ruled out. The finding of a high ACE level helps to confirm the diagnosis
- A normal ACE level cannot be sued to rule out sarcoidosis since sarcoidosis may be present without an elevated ACE level
- It may also be used to monitor the course of treatment in sarcoidosis. An initial high level which decreases over time usually indicates spontaneous or therapy induced remission and a favorable prognosis. On the other hand, a rising ACE level may indicate either the disease is not responding or it is progressing
Answers to Patient Concerns & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about ACE
Frequently Asked Questions about Angiotensin Converting Enzyme
Q. Are there any other conditions except sarcoidosis which can lead to increased or decreased ACE levels?
Decreased ACE levels may also be seen in lung diseases like emphysema, hypothyroidism, starvation, steroid therapy. The levels may be moderately increased in hyperthyroidism, diabetes, alcoholic cirrhosis, lymphoma, tuberculosis, leprosy
City X-Ray and Scan Clinic is the most reputed and leading chain of diagnostic centres in Delhi NCR. It was started in 1993 with the aim to serve society by installing ‘State of the art’ technology & equipment in all streams i.e. Radiology, Pathology, Cardiology & Neurophysiology all under one roof.