Overview of Acetone, Serum
Why Get Tested
Testing is done when excessive weight loss occurs due to dieting, heavy exercise, conditions like diabetes, which reduces the level of sugar available to the organs.
• Any time the blood sugar level stays over 17 mmol/l (300 mg/dl)
• If blood sugar levels stays over 13 mmol/l (230 mg/dl)
• If symptoms of ketoacidosis are visible
- No special preparation required
What Results of Acetone, Serum mean?
• < 0.6 mmol/L : normal ketone levels
• 1.6 to 3.0 mmol/L : high ketone levels
• 3.0 mmol/L : Potentially fatal ketone levels