Overview of Glucose Challenge Test
What is Glucose Challenge Test?
The glucose challenge test is done during pregnancy to screen for gestational diabetes i.e. diabetes that develops during pregnancy. It is usually done during 24 to 28 weeks of pregnancy but it can be done earlier if the women is at high risk of developing diabetes during pregnancy due to obesity, family history of diabetes or other factors. A blood sugar level below 140 mg/dl is considered normal while a level above 140 mg/dl is considered high and usually indicates gestational diabetes. Your should ideally get a may a glucose tolerance test after a positive GCT to confirm the diagnosis.
The sample type collected for Glucose Challenge Test is: Blood
Preparation for Glucose Challenge Test
- No special preparation required
Why Get Tested for Glucose Challenge Test?
- During 24 to 28 weeks of pregnancy to screen for gestational diabetes
- It can be ordered earlier if you are at high risk of developing diabetes during pregnancy due to obesity, family history of diabetes etc
What Results of Glucose Challenge Test mean?
- A blood sugar level below 140 mg/dl is considered normal
- A blood sugar above 140 mg/dl is considered high and usually indicates gestational diabetes
- If the results of your glucose challenge test indicate the possibility of gestational diabetes, your doctor will order a glucose tolerance test to confirm the diagnosis
Gen-X Diagnostics is a unit of ARA Healthcare Pvt. Ltd. founded by leading applied research scientist Dr. Rama Mukherjee. Gen-X specializes in the field of molecular diagnostics, focusing on the development of genetic, biological and molecular diagnostic services. It is one of the first of its kind R&D Company focusing on development of genetic, biological and molecular diagnostic services with an intention to assisting its global partners in shortening the cycle and lowering the cost of drug discovery and development by providing cost effective and efficient co-development and outlicencing solution. Gen X Diagnostics is a unique leading Molecular Diagnostics in India offering a wide range of tests for infectious diseases, transplantation medicine, prenatal diagnostics, cancer, genetic disorder, metabolic and hormonal disorders. Gen-X Diagnostics has started its diagnostics operation from Dec 2007. We do reflect a commitment to improving the lives through the delivery of innovative diagnosis and therapeutic products that enable and provide optimal care.