Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Herpes Simplex Virus 1 & 2 IgM
It is used to screen for or diagnose Herpes simplex infection. A doctor suspects herpes simplex infection when you have blister on your genitals, or symptoms of meningitis like severe headache, seizures. It may also be ordered if you are pregnant and are suffering from herpes. A doctor may also order HSV antibody test if you have another sexually transmitted disease and are at increased risk of infection.
Why Get Tested
- If you have signs of herpes virus infection like blister on the genitals
- When you have encephalitis and the doctor is suspecting a viral cause
- If you are pregnant, and are suffering from herpes
- If you are being screened for a previous exposure to herpes simplex virus
- If you have any other sexually transmitted disease and are at increased risk of herpes infection
- No special preparation required
What Results of Herpes Simplex Virus 1 & 2 IgM mean?
- Positive HSV 1 and 2 IgM antibody indicates acute or recent infection
- Negative HSV 1 and HSV 2 antibody test means that it is unlikely that a person has been exposed to Herpes simplex virus
The PNDT registered Genetic Laboratory & Genetic Counselling center at DNA Xperts is the first of its kind center in East Delhi to offer Genetic Testing & Genetic Counselling services. Genetic counseling is the process of determining the risk you have of passing on an inheritable genetic disease to your baby and hence is advised before or during pregnancy for couples.