Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Glycosylated Hemoglobin
The HbA1c test gives a picture of the average amount of glucose in your blood over the past 2 to 3 months. Therefore, it monitors blood glucose levels in your blood if you are an already diagnosed diabetic so that the risk of complications related to it can be assessed and prevented. It can also be used to diagnose diabetes and to assess whether you are at increased risk of developing disease or not.
Why Get Tested
- If you are already diagnosed with diabetes to see the risk for complications affecting kidney, eyes, brain and cardiovascolar system
- If you have symptoms of diabetes like increased thirst, increased urination, fatigue
- If you have additional risk factors for diabetes like high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, cardiovascolar disease, obesity or family history of diabetes
- As a part of routine health check up
- No special preparation required
What Results of Glycosylated Hemoglobin mean?
- For screening and diagnosis:
If your HbA1c level is below 5.7% - you are normal, at present
If your HbA1c is between 5.7 to 6.4%, you have increased risk of developing diabetes in future (Pre diabetic)
If your HbA1c is higher than 6.5%, you have diabetes
- For monitoring glucose levels: you should aim to keep your blood glucose less than 7%.
The PNDT registered Genetic Laboratory & Genetic Counselling center at DNA Xperts is the first of its kind center in East Delhi to offer Genetic Testing & Genetic Counselling services. Genetic counseling is the process of determining the risk you have of passing on an inheritable genetic disease to your baby and hence is advised before or during pregnancy for couples.