Overview of Hepatitis C Virus Total Antibody
What is Hepatitis C Virus Total Antibody?
You should get this test done when you have risk factors for HCV infection like you are on long term dialysis, have received a blood transfusion, have injected illegal drugs, you have evidence of chronic liver disease. It is also done when you may have been exposed to hepatitis C virus, such as through contact with infected blood.
The sample type collected for Hepatitis C Virus Total Antibody is: Blood
Preparation for Hepatitis C Virus Total Antibody
- No special preparation required
Why Get Tested for Hepatitis C Virus Total Antibody?
- If you have signs or symptoms suggesting hepatitis like jaundice, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, decreased appetite
- The Center for Disease Control (CDC) also recommends HCV antibody testing if you have ever injected illegal drugs, you have been exposed to someone with Hepatitis C infection, you have evidence of chronic liver disease, you have HIV, or you are on long term dialysis
What Results of Hepatitis C Virus Total Antibody mean?
- A negative HCV antibody test usually indicates no infection with Hepatitis C virus
- A positive or indeterminate HCV antibody test along with a negative HCV RNA test usually indicates past infection or no infection. Additional tests are needed
- A positive or indeterminate HCV antibody test along with positive HCV RNA test indicates current infection
We at CORE Diagnostics are a renowned pathology testing laboratory & a premier institute in the country capable of providing varied diagnostic tests & facilities in the field of laboratory medicine and have established state-of-art testing facilities in Gurgaon. We are a Clinical laboratory focused on Next Generation Diagnostics for disease stratification and therapy selection. We are focused on bringing the most advanced testing techniques and expertise to India and aim to become the destination for all your high-end diagnostic needs.