Dehydroepiandrosterone Sulphate (DHEAS)
Overview of DHEAS
What is DHEAS?
This test is usually ordered when a girl has excess facial or body hair, acne, absence of menstrual periods, decreased breast size or a women has infertility; when a boy shows signs of early puberty, such as deep voice, pubic hair or muscle development.
Why is DHEAS done?
- If a woman has signs or symptoms such as amenorrhea, infertility or those of virilization like deep voice, excess facial or body hair, acne, decreased breast size
- It may be ordered to evaluate the function of adrenal gland
Preparation for DHEAS
- Do not eat or drink anything other than water for 8-12 hours before the test.
Sample Type for DHEAS
The sample type collected for Dehydroepiandrosterone Sulphate is: Blood
Interpreting DHEAS results
- Normal DHEAS with normal androgen levels usually indicate that the adrenal gland is functioning normally
- A high DHEAS may indicate an adrenocortical tumor, Cushing's disease, adrenal cancer or adrenal hyperplasia. It is not diagnostic of a specific condition, further testing may then be required to confirm the diagnosis of the above mentioned conditions
- DHEAS may be elevated with polycystic ovarian syndrome
- A low level of DHEAS may be due to adrenal insufficiency, Addison's disease, hypopituitarism
1MG labs (powered by Niramaya) offers highest quality diagnostic services at the convenience of your doorstep. We pride ourselves on three things 1) Assured Quality 2) Best Prices 3) Excellent Turn Around Time. We believe in providing the highest level of transparency to our customers. Our partner labs have accreditations like NABL and ISO, the gold standards of quality in diagnostics. Our entire team is dedicated to providing the best customer experience and continues strives to come up with solutions to remain in line with the needs of our customers.
Based on my experience, I recommend 1mg labs to all those who are looking for quality, punctuality and competency.
Great experience with 1mg