Insulin - Post Prandial
What is Insulin-PP?
When you have low blood glucose levels with symptoms such as sweating, palpitations, dizziness, fainting; when you have diabetes and your health practitioner wants to monitor your insulin production; sometimes when it is suspected that you have insulin resistance.
Why is Insulin-PP done?
- If you have signs or symptoms of low blood glucose (hypoglycemia) like sweating, hunger, confusion, blurred vision, dizziness, palpitations and sometimes fainting
- In case of suspected type 2 diabetes, polycystic ovarian syndrome, heart disease or metabolic syndrome
- To determine the start of insolin therapy if you are a diabetic
- In case of suspected insolinoma
- To detect insolin resistance
Interpreting Insulin-PP results
- High insulin levels along with normal fasting glucose level indicate insulin resistance. Causes of high fasting insulin levels are acromegaly, Cushing syndrome, insulinomas, obesity
- Normal insulin level along with low fasting glucose level usually indicate hypoglycemia due to excess insulin
- Low insulin level with high fasting glucose level usually mean that there is not enough insulin produced by beta cells which may be seen in diabetes, pancreatitis