Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Vitamin B 9
When you have an abnormal complete blood count (CBC) with a blood smear showing large red blood cells (macrocytosis) or abnormal (hypersegmented) neutrophils; when you have symptoms of anemia (weakness, tiredness, pale skin) and/or of neuropathy (tingling or itching sensations, eye twitching, memory loss, altered mental status); when you are being treated for vitamin B12 or folate deficiency.
Why Get Tested
- If you have symptoms of anemia like weakness, tiredness, pale skin
- If you have an abnormal complete blood count and your blood smear shows large red blood cells or neutrophils with more than 5 lobes
- If you have symptoms or signs of nerve problems like numbness, burning in hands, feet, arms,tingling sensation
- If you are being treated with vitamin B12 or folate therapy
- Folate levels in blood may vary based on your recent diet. Since your red blood cells store 95% of circolating folate, your doctor may order a test to measure the folate level within RBC’s
- No special preparation required
What Results of Vitamin B 9 mean?
Low levels of folate in the blood may indicate:
- Folic acid deficiency anemia
- Malabsorption syndromes
- Chronic alcoholism
Strand Life Sciences Pvt Ltd is the state-of-the-art one point solution for oncology diagnostics, biomarker and translational research, laboratory services and clinical research services. Based out of Bangalore, Strand Life Sciences Pvt Ltd is an integration of Laboratory services, Research and Development and Clinical Research with a focus to on innovation, quality and accuracy for better diagnosis and prognosis of Cancer.