Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Testosterone Free
Total testosterone is the testosterone as measured in your blood while free testosterone is the testosterone which is not bound to sex hormone binding globulin. This test is used to detect abnormal testosterone level in males and females; in males to help diagnose the causes of erectile dysfunction; the inability of your partner to get pregnant; or premature or delayed puberty. In females, this test may be used to diagnose the cause of masculine physical features, infertility or polycystic ovarian syndrome.
Why Get Tested
- In boys,this test is ordered if they have symptoms of delayed puberty like lack of body hair, delayed growth of testes and penis, delayed development of muscle mass or early puberty
- In men, it is ordered for an infertility work up or when a man has decreased sex drive or erectile dysfunction
- In females, this test is ordered if she has irregolar or no menstrual periods, is having difficolty getting pregnant or appears to have male like features
- No special preparation required
What Results of Testosterone Free mean?
- A low testosterone level in males may be due to pituitary or hypothalamic disease, genetic disorders like Klinefelter syndrome
- A high testosterone level in males can indicate testicular tumors, adrenal tumors, early puberty
- In females, testosterone levels are normally low. Increased levels can indicate polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), ovarian tumor, or congenital adrenal hyperplasia
Patient Concerns about Testosterone Free
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Are there any other conditions which can lead to abnormal testosterone levels?
Alcoholism and liver disease in males can decrease testosterone levels. Some drugs like steroids and androgen can also have the same effect.
Strand Life Sciences Pvt Ltd is the state-of-the-art one point solution for oncology diagnostics, biomarker and translational research, laboratory services and clinical research services. Based out of Bangalore, Strand Life Sciences Pvt Ltd is an integration of Laboratory services, Research and Development and Clinical Research with a focus to on innovation, quality and accuracy for better diagnosis and prognosis of Cancer.