Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Phosphorus, Serum
This test is usually ordered as a follow up to an abnormal calcium test, or when you have symptoms of abnormal calcium like fatigue, muscle weakness, bone pain. Sometimes, it can also be ordered when you have symptoms suggestive of gastrointestinal or kidney disorder. If you are taking calcium or phosphorus supplements, this test is ordered at regular intervals to monitor treatment effectiveness.
Why Get Tested
- It is usually ordered as a follow up to an abnormal calcium test or when symptoms of abnormal calcium like fatigue, bone pains, muscle weakness or cramping are present
- Phosphorus testing may be ordered along with other tests when symptoms suggest kidney or gastrointestinal disorders
- Do not eat or drink anything other than water for 8-12 hours before the test.
What Results of Phosphorus, Serum mean?
- Low levels of phosphorus (hypophosphatemia) may be associated with hypercalcemia, malnutrition, alcoholism, diabetic ketoacidosis, hypothyroidism, rickets and osteomalacia
- High levels of phosphorus (hyperphosphatemia) can be due to kidney failure, liver disease, hypoparathyroidism
Patient Concerns about Phosphorus, Serum
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What are the good dietary sources of phosphorus?
The good dietary sources of phosphorus are meat, dairy products, lentils, beans, peanuts and almonds
Strand Life Sciences Pvt Ltd is the state-of-the-art one point solution for oncology diagnostics, biomarker and translational research, laboratory services and clinical research services. Based out of Bangalore, Strand Life Sciences Pvt Ltd is an integration of Laboratory services, Research and Development and Clinical Research with a focus to on innovation, quality and accuracy for better diagnosis and prognosis of Cancer.