Overview of CA125
What is CA125?
This test is used to monitor treatment for ovarian cancer or to detect recurrence; sometimes to evaluate a pelvic mass and it can also be ordered to help detect early ovarian cancer in those identified as being at high risk.
Why is CA125 done?
- If you have a pelvic mass and the doctor is suspecting ovarian cancer
- When you start treatment for ovarian cancer to monitor further therapy or detect recurrence
- Along with a transvaginal oltrasound, it may be ordered to monitor women who have a high risk for ovarian cancer but have no disease as yet
Preparation for CA125
- No special preparation required
Sample Type for CA125
The sample type collected for CA125 is: Blood
Interpreting CA125 results
- When used during ovarian cancer therapy, if the level of CA 125 falls during therapy, it generally indicates that the cancer is responding to treatment. If it rises or stays the same, the cancer may not be responding. High CA 125 after completion of treatment may indicate that the cancer has come back
- In a women with a pelvic mass and in a women with high risk of developing ovarian cancer, a significantly elevated CA 125 is a concern but does not necessarily indicate ovarian cancer and should be confirmed by other tests
Strand Life Sciences Pvt Ltd is the state-of-the-art one point solution for oncology diagnostics, biomarker and translational research, laboratory services and clinical research services. Based out of Bangalore, Strand Life Sciences Pvt Ltd is an integration of Laboratory services, Research and Development and Clinical Research with a focus to on innovation, quality and accuracy for better diagnosis and prognosis of Cancer.