Vitamin B 9 (Vit B9)
Folic Acid, Folate
Overview of Vitamin B 9
What is Vitamin B 9?
When you have an abnormal complete blood count (CBC) with a blood smear showing large red blood cells (macrocytosis) or abnormal (hypersegmented) neutrophils; when you have symptoms of anemia (weakness, tiredness, pale skin) and/or of neuropathy (tingling or itching sensations, eye twitching, memory loss, altered mental status); when you are being treated for vitamin B12 or folate deficiency.
The sample type collected for Vitamin B 9 is: Blood
Preparation for Vitamin B 9
- No special preparation required
Why Get Tested for Vitamin B 9?
- If you have symptoms of anemia like weakness, tiredness, pale skin
- If you have an abnormal complete blood count and your blood smear shows large red blood cells or neutrophils with more than 5 lobes
- If you have symptoms or signs of nerve problems like numbness, burning in hands, feet, arms,tingling sensation
- If you are being treated with vitamin B12 or folate therapy
- Folate levels in blood may vary based on your recent diet. Since your red blood cells store 95% of circolating folate, your doctor may order a test to measure the folate level within RBC’s
What Results of Vitamin B 9 mean?
Low levels of folate in the blood may indicate:
- Folic acid deficiency anemia
- Malabsorption syndromes
- Chronic alcoholism
Niramaya Healthcare is an elite Pathology and Wellness service provider with presence in the National Capital Region of Delhi. It was started by a group of professionals with the motto of “Affordable, Accurate and Accredited pathology at your footstep“. Niramaya Healthcare has gone beyond the concept of ´need based´ testing by promoting the concept of Preventive Healthcare. The health packages offered by Niramaya are based on what the people need and not what sells in the market. Niramaya Healthcare ensures that every test conducted is of highest quality. The team of Niramaya is committed to ensuring an amazing Customer experience and firmly believes in the philosophy of "Sarve Santu Niramaya"