Overview of Dehydroepiandrosterone
What is Dehydroepiandrosterone?
This test is usually ordered when a girl has excess facial or body hair, acne, absence of menstrual periods, decreased breast size or a women has infertility; when a boy shows signs of early puberty, such as deep voice, pubic hair or muscle development.
The sample type collected for Dehydroepiandrosterone is: Blood
Preparation for Dehydroepiandrosterone
- Do not eat or drink anything other than water for 8-12 hours before the test.
Why Get Tested for Dehydroepiandrosterone?
- If a woman has signs or symptoms such as amenorrhea, infertility or those of virilization like deep voice, excess facial or body hair, acne, decreased breast size
- It may be ordered to evaluate the function of adrenal gland
What Results of Dehydroepiandrosterone mean?
- Normal DHEA with normal androgen levels usually indicate that the adrenal gland is functioning normally
A high DHEA may indicate an adrenocortical tumor, Cushing's disease, adrenal cancer or adrenal hyperplasia. It is not diagnostic of a specific condition, further testing may then be required to confirm the diagnosis of the above mentioned conditions
- DHEA may be elevated with polycystic ovarian syndrome
- A low level of DHEA may be due to adrenal insufficiency, Addison's disease, hypopituitarism
Niramaya Healthcare is an elite Pathology and Wellness service provider with presence in the National Capital Region of Delhi. It was started by a group of professionals with the motto of “Affordable, Accurate and Accredited pathology at your footstep“. Niramaya Healthcare has gone beyond the concept of ´need based´ testing by promoting the concept of Preventive Healthcare. The health packages offered by Niramaya are based on what the people need and not what sells in the market. Niramaya Healthcare ensures that every test conducted is of highest quality. The team of Niramaya is committed to ensuring an amazing Customer experience and firmly believes in the philosophy of "Sarve Santu Niramaya"