NABL, NABH, ISO
Overview of Blood Urea Nitrogen
What is Blood Urea Nitrogen?
It is done to evaluate the health of your kidneys. It can be done as a part of basic metabolic panel or when you have signs or symptoms suggestive of kidney disease like swelling of face, ankle, lower back pain, changes in urine output etc. It should also be done to monitor the treatment if you are already diagnosed with a kidney disease or in dialysis patients. The test may also be ordered prior to or during certain drug treatment to monitor the kidney function.
The sample type collected for Blood Urea Nitrogen is: Blood
Preparation for Blood Urea Nitrogen
- No special preparation required
Why Get Tested for Blood Urea Nitrogen?
- As a part of routine health check up, kidney function test or basic metabolic panel
- If you have signs or symptoms of kidney disease like swelling or puffiness around the eyes; face;wrists, blood in urine, decrease amount of urine, poor appetite, mid back pain, high blood pressure
- It may also be ordered to monitor your kidney function if you have chronic disease like diabetes, myocardial infarct or heart failure
- To monitor the effectiveness of dialysis
What Results of Blood Urea Nitrogen mean?
- Increased BUN level suggest kidney dysfunction which may be due to acute or chronic kidney disease, or rarely due to congestive heart failure, stress, shock, dehydration etc
- Low BUN levels are not common and usually not a cause for concern. It may be seen in severe liver disease or malnutrition.
Patient Concerns about Blood Urea Nitrogen
Frequently Asked Questions about Blood Urea Nitrogen
Q. What other tests are used along with BUN to test the function of my kidneys?
BUN and Creatinine are two primary tests which are used to test kidney function.
Q. Does diet influence the BUN levels?
Yes, high protein diet can lead to increased BUN levels.
MDRC is the pioneer in the field of imaging and pathology in the city. At a time when the healthcare of Gurgaon was in its infancy, MDRC started its operations from the New Railway Road in the year 1985. The journey which started with an X-Ray machine has reached a stage where MDRC today is in top league in terms of the range and quality of diagnostic facilities with more then 2500 tests done in house. There are two independent fully equipped centres located across the highway at New Railway Road in main city and one in Sector - 44 near HUDA city centre. Both the centres are spacious and have complete range of diagnostic facilities in fields of radiology, cardiology, pathology and general health. The experience and patient loyalty gained over the last 30 years has made us the number one diagnostic facility in the state of Haryana and NCR. It is because of our dedicated Doctors and high end equipments which help us solve the diagnostic dilemma in complicated cases that we get patients from all over Haryana and the NCR region as well as international patients. Our doctors bring with them highest level of knowledge and experience in their respective fields. The paramedical staff is highly qualified, well trained and motivated to deliver the best experience to our patients. The other support staff is caring and passionate about their work in order to achieve complete patient satisfaction. Modern diagnostics has expanded its facilities by running the diagnostic services at many other hospitals in the city. The footprint is expanding and now we have crossed national boundaries and have facility in Nepal and will soon extended our facility in more countries.