Overview of Vit E
What is Vit E?
Vitamin E helps in the maintenance of biomembranes of vascular and nervous systems & has anti-oxidant properties. This assay is useful for assessing if you have motor and sensory neuropathies. It is also useful for monitoring vitamin E status of premature infants requiring oxygenation.
Why is Vit E done?
- If you have signs or symptoms of mal-absorption syndromes like celiac disease, tropical sprue, Crohn’s disease which may cause weight loss, diarrhoea, vomiting
- If you have symptoms of Vitmain E deficiency like tingling or numbness in limbs, poor muscle co-ordination
Preparation for Vit E
- No special preparation required
Sample Type for Vit E
The sample type collected for Vitamin E is: Blood
Interpreting Vit E results
- Low levels of vitamin E can be associated with malabsorption syndromes like celiac disease, tropical spurue, cystic fibrosis etc.
- High levels are very uncommon