Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Homocysteine
This test is ordered to determine if you have a vitamin B12 or folate deficiency; to determine if you are at increased risk of heart attack or stroke; as a part of newborn screening to help diagnose a rare inherited disorder called homocystinuria.
Why Get Tested
- If you have signs or symptoms suggestive of vitamin B12 or folate deficiency like weakness, fatigue, loss of appetite, rapid heart rate, shortness of breath, tingling or numbness in hand or feet
- To determine your risk of heart disease like heart attack or stroke
- When an infant or child has signs or symptoms of homoystinuria
- Do not eat or drink anything other than water for 8-12 hours before the test.
What Results of Homocysteine mean?
- Increased levels of homocysteine may be seen in vitamin B12 or folate deficiency. It should be confirmed by other tests for Vitamin B12 or folate
- Latest studies also suggest that raised homocysteine levels may be associated with increased risk of cardiovascular disease like heart attack or stroke
- In newborn testing, greatly increased concentrations of homocysteine in urine or blood means that it is quite likely the infant is suffering from homocystinuria
Gen-X Diagnostics is a unit of ARA Healthcare Pvt. Ltd. founded by leading applied research scientist Dr. Rama Mukherjee. Gen-X specializes in the field of molecular diagnostics, focusing on the development of genetic, biological and molecular diagnostic services. It is one of the first of its kind R&D Company focusing on development of genetic, biological and molecular diagnostic services with an intention to assisting its global partners in shortening the cycle and lowering the cost of drug discovery and development by providing cost effective and efficient co-development and outlicencing solution. Gen X Diagnostics is a unique leading Molecular Diagnostics in India offering a wide range of tests for infectious diseases, transplantation medicine, prenatal diagnostics, cancer, genetic disorder, metabolic and hormonal disorders. Gen-X Diagnostics has started its diagnostics operation from Dec 2007. We do reflect a commitment to improving the lives through the delivery of innovative diagnosis and therapeutic products that enable and provide optimal care.