Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate
This is a non specific test which helps detect any inflammation in your body. It is usually ordered if you are experiencing fever, weight loss, muscle pain or any symptoms which suggest an autoimmune disorders, arthritis or infections. This test is rarely performed alone, it is usually combined with other tests to determine the cause of symptoms.
Why Get Tested
- When your doctor thinks that you might have a condition causing inflammation like tubercolosis, arthritis, inflammatory bowel diseases or any autoimmune disorder
- When you have symptoms of vascolitis like fever, headaches, poor appetite, unexplained weight loss
- No special preparation required
What Results of Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate mean?
- Moderately elevated ESR occurs with inflammation but can also occur with anemia, infection, pregnancy
- A very high ESR usually has an obvious cause like severe infection, vasculitis like temporal arteritis etc
ESR is a non specific marker of inflammation and is affected by other factors. Therefore, the results are often interpreted with clinical findings and other investigations.
Patient Concerns about Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Can the ESR become low as well?
Yes, low ESR can be seen with conditions like leucocytosis, polycythemia, or sickle cell anemia.
Gen-X Diagnostics is a unit of ARA Healthcare Pvt. Ltd. founded by leading applied research scientist Dr. Rama Mukherjee. Gen-X specializes in the field of molecular diagnostics, focusing on the development of genetic, biological and molecular diagnostic services. It is one of the first of its kind R&D Company focusing on development of genetic, biological and molecular diagnostic services with an intention to assisting its global partners in shortening the cycle and lowering the cost of drug discovery and development by providing cost effective and efficient co-development and outlicencing solution. Gen X Diagnostics is a unique leading Molecular Diagnostics in India offering a wide range of tests for infectious diseases, transplantation medicine, prenatal diagnostics, cancer, genetic disorder, metabolic and hormonal disorders. Gen-X Diagnostics has started its diagnostics operation from Dec 2007. We do reflect a commitment to improving the lives through the delivery of innovative diagnosis and therapeutic products that enable and provide optimal care.