Overview of Complete Blood Count
What is Complete Blood Count?
It includes the evaluation of your Red blood cell, white blood cell and platelet count. It is done as a part of your routine health check up, if you have symptoms of anemia, infection or any kind of bleeding disorders, to monitor the effectiveness of treatment once the diagnosis of anemia is established, and to monitor treatment that is known to affect blood cells. Get your CBC test done before any surgery or procedure.
The sample type collected for Complete Blood Count is: Blood
Preparation for Complete Blood Count
- No special preparation required
Why Get Tested for Complete Blood Count?
- As a part of routine health check up or package
- It is one of the preliminary tests done to screen for a wide range of diseases and conditions
- Help diagnose various conditions like anemia, infection, bleeding disorders, inflammation, leukemia
- Monitor the effectiveness of treatment after a diagnosis is established
- Monitor treatment that is known to affect blood cells such as chemotherapy or radiotherapy
What Results of Complete Blood Count mean?
- Decreased level of hemoglobin is suggestive of anemia while increased levels are seen in polycythemia. Various causes of anemia are iron deficiency anemia, vitamin B 12 deficiency anemia, hemolytic anemia
- High WBC count is associated with infections, inflammatory disorders, leukemia, myeloproliferative disorders while low levels may be seen in aplastic anemia, bone marrow disorders, auto immune conditions
- High neutrophil count (neutrophilia) can be seen in acute bacterial infections, inflammation, burns while lower values (neutropenia) may be seen in aplastic anemia, autoimmune disorders, drug reactions or chemotherapy
- High lymphocyte count (lymphocytosis) may be seen in acute viral infections, tuberculosis, lymphocytic leukemia while lower values (lymphopenia) may be seen in bone marrow damage, aplastic anemia, autoimmune disorders
- High monocyte count (monocytosis) may be seen in chronic infections like tuberculosis, bacterial endocarditis, collagen vascular disorders, inflammatory bowel diseases while lower values may be seen in bone marrow damage
- High eosinophil count (eosinophilia) can be seen in asthma, allergies, drug reactions, parasitic infections, while lower levels are rare and medically insignificant
- High basophil count (basophilia) may be seen in chronic myeloid leukemia (CML) while lower levels are medically insignificant
- Low platelet counts also called as thrombocytopenia are associated with yiral infections like dengue fever, bleeding or platelet disorders
Tests Included in Complete Blood Count(24 tests)
- Packed Cell Volume
- Differential leucocyte Count(includes 6 tests)
Differential Eosinophil Count
Differential Neutrophil Count
Differential Monocyte Count
Differential Granulocyte Count
Differential Lymphocyte Count
Differential Basophil Count
- Absolute Monocyte Counts
- Red Blood Cell Count
- RDW SD
- Platelet Count
- Total Leucocyte Count
- Red Cell Distribution Width
- Mean Corpuscular Volume
- Mean Corpuscular Hemoglobin
- Mean Corpuscular Hemoglobin Concentration
- Mean Platelet Volume
Gen-X Diagnostics is a unit of ARA Healthcare Pvt. Ltd. founded by leading applied research scientist Dr. Rama Mukherjee. Gen-X specializes in the field of molecular diagnostics, focusing on the development of genetic, biological and molecular diagnostic services. It is one of the first of its kind R&D Company focusing on development of genetic, biological and molecular diagnostic services with an intention to assisting its global partners in shortening the cycle and lowering the cost of drug discovery and development by providing cost effective and efficient co-development and outlicencing solution. Gen X Diagnostics is a unique leading Molecular Diagnostics in India offering a wide range of tests for infectious diseases, transplantation medicine, prenatal diagnostics, cancer, genetic disorder, metabolic and hormonal disorders. Gen-X Diagnostics has started its diagnostics operation from Dec 2007. We do reflect a commitment to improving the lives through the delivery of innovative diagnosis and therapeutic products that enable and provide optimal care.