Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Lactate Dehyderogenase, Serum
This test measures the amount of an enzyme called lactate dehydrogenase that is an important marker for tissue injury anywhere in the body. It may be ordered, along with other tests such as a comprehensive metabolic panel (CMP), when your doctor suspects that a disease or condition is causing some degree of cellular or tissue damage. LDH levels may also occasionally be ordered when an individual has experienced muscle trauma or injury or when a person has signs and symptoms of hemolytic anemia. LDH testing may be ordered on a regular basis when an individual has been diagnosed with cancer.
Why Get Tested
- As a part of comprehensive metabolic panel
- In many diseases, when your doctor suspects some cellolar or tissue damage
- If you have signs or symptoms of hemolytic anemia
- In certain cases, when some cancers are suspected
- If you have symptoms of meningitis like neck stiffness, severe headache, high fever, vomiting, rashes, then spinal fluid may be checked for LDH
- No special preparation required
What Results of Lactate Dehyderogenase, Serum mean?
- Increased levels of Lactate Dehydrogenase usually indicate some type of tissue damage. Therefore, they may be elevated in a variety of conditions like hemolytic anemia, megaloblastic anemia, infections, acute kidney and liver diseases, testicular cancers and lymphoma. A high LDH level may indicate that the treatment for cancer has not been successful. The LDH level may also remain persistently high in some chronic and progressive conditions.
- Low levels of LDH usually do not indicate a problem. It may be seen when someone ingests large amount of ascorbic acid (Vitamin C)
Patient Concerns about Lactate Dehyderogenase, Serum
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Is LDH used to diagnose heart attack?
Earlier LDH was used to diagnose an acute heart attack, but new, far more sensitive and specific tests have completely replaced it as a test for heart muscle injury.
Dr Lalchandani Labs are committed to offering the best of the Diagnostic tests services in Delhi/NCR. Being in existence since 30 years, we have earned complete trust of doctors, hospitals and patients through our NABL accredited Quality – India’s Highest quality accreditation. With our vast experience in this field, we know how to handle all the nuances of performing blood tests accurately and hence rightly claimed the bragging rights of being one of the best Pathology labs in Delhi. We have multiple Labs and collection Centers across Delhi and NCR and also serve some of the Leading Hospitals of Delhi. The main branches are located at Greater Kailash 1 and Lajpat Nagar of South Delhi area. It is a highly recommended pathology lab in South Delhi. Apart from Pathology, Dr Lalchandani Labs specializes in Radiology, Hospital Lab Management, Doctor Consultation, Corporate Health Check Up and providing blood to the needy through our CPC Blood Bank. We are Managing Labs at Primus Super Specialty Hospital in Chanakyapuri, Shanti Mukund Hospital in Karkardooma, Nanda Hospital, Chattarpur and Eden Hospital, East of Kailash. We have been in the services since the year 1986 and with the setting up of diagnostic centers in Greater Kailash, Lajpat Nagar and few other diagnostic labs in Delhi in quick years, Dr Lalchandani Labs are the lifeline of the capital city. Usually, the health checkups are quite expensive and tedious but with us, you won’t spend your valuable time in waiting and following up. We also provide Home collection service of Blood Samples to ensure you get the best of quality blood tests at the comforts of your Home. Our health checkup packages in Delhi will ensure that you have less time to invest at our clinics because we value our customers’ time. Our clients have been delighted with our customized packages corresponding to the need of our visitors. Dr Lalchandani Labs’ Full body health checkup in Delhi is the highest opted package among a variety of other packages. One can look at the various health checkup packages in Delhi, and we will be delighted to assist you in getting you in the pink of your health. Not only families show interest in health diagnosis, but also the multi-national companies who want to learn the fitness and health meter of their employees. Dr Lalchandani Labs has been a trusted partner for many corporates for corporate health packages in Delhi. So don’t shy away from the best of your health and get in touch for your health scan. We promise to you an excellent journey henceforth.