Overview of Dehydroepiandrosterone
What is Dehydroepiandrosterone?
This test is usually ordered when a girl has excess facial or body hair, acne, absence of menstrual periods, decreased breast size or a women has infertility; when a boy shows signs of early puberty, such as deep voice, pubic hair or muscle development.
The sample type collected for Dehydroepiandrosterone is: Blood
Preparation for Dehydroepiandrosterone
- Do not eat or drink anything other than water for 8-12 hours before the test.
Why Get Tested for Dehydroepiandrosterone?
- If a woman has signs or symptoms such as amenorrhea, infertility or those of virilization like deep voice, excess facial or body hair, acne, decreased breast size
- It may be ordered to evaluate the function of adrenal gland
What Results of Dehydroepiandrosterone mean?
- Normal DHEA with normal androgen levels usually indicate that the adrenal gland is functioning normally
A high DHEA may indicate an adrenocortical tumor, Cushing's disease, adrenal cancer or adrenal hyperplasia. It is not diagnostic of a specific condition, further testing may then be required to confirm the diagnosis of the above mentioned conditions
- DHEA may be elevated with polycystic ovarian syndrome
- A low level of DHEA may be due to adrenal insufficiency, Addison's disease, hypopituitarism
The PNDT registered Genetic Laboratory & Genetic Counselling center at DNA Xperts is the first of its kind center in East Delhi to offer Genetic Testing & Genetic Counselling services. Genetic counseling is the process of determining the risk you have of passing on an inheritable genetic disease to your baby and hence is advised before or during pregnancy for couples.