Overview of Alanine Transaminase
What is Alanine Transaminase?
It is usually ordered when you have signs or symptoms of a liver disorder like loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, jaundice, itching, dark urine. It may also be ordered to monitor the treatment of patient’s with liver disease.
The sample type collected for Alanine Transaminase is: Blood
Preparation for Alanine Transaminase
- No special preparation required
Why Get Tested for Alanine Transaminase?
- As a part of liver function test
- If you have signs or symptoms of liver disease like dark colored urine, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, jaundice, abdominal pain
- If you are at increased risk of developing liver disease like you are a heavy drinker, have been exposed to hepatitis virus, or have a family history of liver disease
What Results of Alanine Transaminase mean?
- Very high ALT levels ( more than 10 times normal) are usually due to acute hepatitis which is usually due to a viral infection
- High ALT levels ( four times normal) may be seen in chronic hepatitis, obstruction of bile ducts or cirrhosis
- In most liver diseases, the ALT level is higher than AST and the AST/ALT ratio will be low (less than 1). The AST/ALT ratio is greater than 1 in alcoholic hepatitis, cirrhosis, heart or muscle injury
- ALT is more specific than AST for liver disease
Thyrocare Technologies Limited is India's first and most advanced Totally Automated Laboratory having its strong presence in more than 2000 cities / towns in India and internationally. Thyrocare is India's first fully automated diagnostic laboratory with a focus on providing quality at affordable costs to laboratories and hospitals in India and other countries. Thyrocare operates with a Centralized Processing Laboratory (CPL) in Mumbai - India for esoteric tests; and Regional Processing Laboratory in major metro cities of India and other parts of Asia. We have focus on strong technologies, strong brands and strong systems that enable all laboratories to give their clients the best of science and technology at an affordable cost. With a belief that 'Quality' is the heart of any intelligent management, Thyrocare became one of the first Indian diagnostic laboratories to obtain internationally renowned quality accreditations like ISO 9001-2000 rating as early as 2001, which is now escalated to ISO 9001:2008; NABL (National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories) in 2005 and CAP (College of American Pathologists) certification in 2007.
Excellent service and delivery in very short period. Highly impressive
Himadri Shekhar Das