Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Platelet Count
It is done to determine the number of platelets in your blood sample as a part of routine blood count, to screen for diseases which can affect platelets like dengue fever. If you have episodes of unexplained or prolonged bleeding or any other symptoms pointing towards a platelet disorder like small red spots on the skin, you should get your platelet count done urgently.
Why Get Tested
- As a component of complete blood count (CBC), which may be done as a part of routine health examination
- If you have signs and symptoms of bleeding disorder like easy bruising, prolonged bleeding after a small cut, increased menstrual bleeding, numerous nosebleeds etc
- In common diseases like dengue fever, where platelet count becomes low
- No special preparation required
What Results of Platelet Count mean?
- Low platelet counts also called as thrombocytopenia may be associated with
A.Viral infections such as dengue fever, hepatitis etc.
B.Immune thrombocytopenic purpura
C.Certain drugs like asprin, ibuprofen or antibiotics like colchicine, indomethacin
D.Chemotherapy or radiation therapy
Rarely, platelet count can increase. Causes of high platelet count are:
A.Anemia particularly iron deficiency
B.Infections such as tuberculosis
C.Certain malignancies like essential thrombocytosis
Patient Concerns about Platelet Count
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Are there any signs or symptoms of low platelet count which I should pay attention to?
Excessive or prolonged menstrual periods, bleeding from nose, mouth or rectum, bruising for no apparent reason are the usual symptoms of low platelet count.
Q. If my platelet count is abnormal, what follow up tests might my doctor order?
The tests which can be ordered depends upon the cause and the results of CBC and peripheral smear. They may include: 1.Tests for infectious diseases like dengue 2.Tests for bleeding disorders like PT, PTT 3.Iron studies 4.Tests for liver diseases 5.In rare cases, bone marrow biopsy should be ordered
For over a hundred years, human pathology has been one of the keystones of medicine and rightly so at SRL, we offer our patients world-class Pathology services because their well-being is of theRead More