Test Results & Interpretations
This test is done for women, when you are having difficulty getting pregnant or are having irregular or heavy menstrual periods; when you are tracking ovulation during your menstrual cycle. For men, when your partner cannot get pregnant or you have a low sperm count, low muscle mass or decreased sex drive. It can also be done when your doctor thinks that you have symptoms of a pituitary disorder or hypothalamic disorder. Sometimes, it is also useful when a doctor suspects that a child has delayed or earlier than expected sexual maturation.
Why Get Tested
- In adolt women, this test is ordered if you are having difficolty getting pregnant, have irregolar menstrual periods or you are tracking ovolation during menstrual cycle
- In adolt men, it is usually ordered when your partner cannot get pregnant or you have low sperm count, low sex drive
- If you have symptoms of a pituitary or hypothalamic disorder
- In children, this test may be ordered when a boy or girl does not appear to be entering puberty at an appropriate age (either too early or too late)
Do not draw sample within 7 days of Digital Rectal Examination or Rectal Prostatic Ultrosonography
- In women, increased levels of LH are seen in primary ovarian failure which may be due to any chromosomal abnormality, exposure to chemotherapy, radiation therapy, polycystic ovarian disease, thyroid disease
- In women who are trying to become pregnant, tests can be used to detect the surge that precedes ovulation. An LH surge indicates that ovulation has occurred
- The LH level rises during menopause, as the ovarian function caeses
- Low level of LH and FSH are seen in secondary ovarian or testicular failure and indicate a problem with pituitary or hypothalamus
- In men, high LH levels indicate primary testicular failure which may be due to chromosomal abnormality, viral infection, chemotherapy or radiotherapy
- In young children, high levels of LH and FSH with the development of secondary sexual characteristics at an unusually young age indicates precocious puberty which is usually due to problem with the central nervous system
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Is there a home test for LH?
Yes, there is a home test which uses urine sample to predict ovulation
Q. What are the tests which my doctor will order if I am unable to get pregnant?
The tests which are usually ordered for an infertility work up are LH, FSH, testosterone, progesterone, anti mullerian hormone.
For over a hundred years, human pathology has been one of the keystones of medicine and rightly so at SRL, we offer our patients world-class Pathology services because their well-being is of theRead More