Test Results & Interpretations
This test screens your risk of developing heart disease. Get your blood cholesterol tested every five years as a part of preventive health check up. If you have any risk factors for heart disease like smoking, hypertension, family history, diabetes mellitus, then get it done more frequently. You should also get this test done, if you are on lipid lowering medicines.
Why Get Tested
- As a part of lipid profile or routine health check up
- If you are already a diagnosed case of heart disease
- If you have risk factors for heart disease like cigarette smoking, hypertension, diabetes mellitus or a family history of heart disease
- If you are taking cholesterol lowering medicines
- Ideally, adolts shoold get this test done for screening purposes once every five years
Do not eat or drink anything except water at least 9 to 12 hours before the test.
- Cholesterol level below 200mg/dl is considered desirable and reflects low risk of heart disease
- Level between 200-239mg/dl is borderline high and usually signifies moderate risk of heart disease
- Level greater than 240mg/dl is called high and indicates high risk of heart disease
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What treatments are recommended if my level is too high?
You should make lifestyle changes like low fat diet, exercise, stop smoking. If your cholesterol levels are too high, then lipid lowering medicines are advised.
For over a hundred years, human pathology has been one of the keystones of medicine and rightly so at SRL, we offer our patients world-class Pathology services because their well-being is of theRead More