Test Results & Interpretations
It is used to screen for or diagnose Herpes simplex infection. A doctor suspects herpes simplex infection when you have blister on your genitals, or symptoms of meningitis like severe headache, seizures. It may also be ordered if you are pregnant and are suffering from herpes. A doctor may also order HSV antibody test if you have another sexually transmitted disease and are at increased risk of infection.
Why Get Tested
- If you have signs of herpes virus infection like blister on the genitals
- When you have encephalitis and the doctor is suspecting a viral cause
- If you are pregnant, and are suffering from herpes
- If you are being screened for a previous exposure to herpes simplex virus
- If you have any other sexually transmitted disease and are at increased risk of herpes infection
No special preparation required
- Positive HSV 1 and 2 IgM antibody indicates acute or recent infection
- Negative HSV 1 and HSV 2 antibody test means that it is unlikely that a person has been exposed to Herpes simplex virus
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How can herpes infection be prevented?
Oral herpes can’t be prevented. Exposure occurs during everyday life. Genital herpes can be prevented by avoiding sexual contact or through the use of condoms.
The PNDT registered Genetic Laboratory & Genetic Counselling center at DNA Xperts is the first of its kind center in East Delhi to offer Genetic Testing & Genetic Counselling services. GeneticRead More