Test Results & Interpretations
This test is ordered when you have signs and symptoms of acute hepatitis like loss of appetite, jaundice, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain. Hepatitis B surface antigen test may be used for screening high risk people like homosexuals, people infected with HIV, pregnant women etc. Sometimes, it may also help in diagnosing chronic hepatitis B infection.
Why Get Tested
- If you have signs or symptoms associated with acute hepatitis to determine if they are due to Hepatitis B infection. Various signs and symptoms include fever, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, jaundice, dark urine
- As a follow up test if routine tests like ALT and AST are elevated
- If you are at high risk for chronic Hepatitis B infection like close contact with someone infected with HBV, pregnant woman, if you are infected with HIV, homosexual men
- At a regolar basis to monitor people with chronic hepatitis B infection
No special preparation required
The tests for hepatitis B can be ordered individually but usually ordered in combination with other tests
- Positive HBsAg along with positive hepatitis B e antigen tests usually indicate acute infection with the virus and in the infective stage
- Positive hepatitis B surface antigen along with positive core and envelope antibody denotes chronic infection but low risk of infection i.e. carrier state
- Negative HBsAg with positive hepatitits B surface antibody usually indicates no active or prior infection and the individual is not immune
- Negative surface antigen with positive hepatitis B surface antibody denotes that you are immunized against the virus
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Should I get the HBV vaccine?
Yes, ideally all individuals should get themselves vaccinated against Hepatitis B virus.
The PNDT registered Genetic Laboratory & Genetic Counselling center at DNA Xperts is the first of its kind center in East Delhi to offer Genetic Testing & Genetic Counselling services. GeneticRead More