Overview of X - Ray Left Arm AP & LAT
An X-ray of the arm is a safe and painless test to visualise the arm using small amount of radiation. The area of the arm includes the shoulder joint, bone of the upper arm (humerus), elbow, bones of the forearm (radius and ulna), the wrist and the soft tissues (skin and muscles) surrounding it. The image is recorded on a special X-ray film. The X-ray image is black and white. Dense structures such as the bones, appear white and softer body tissues, such as the skin and muscles appear darker. The actual exposure time to radiation is usually less than a second, although the overall test may take 15-20 minutes.
Why Get Tested
- To diagnose any fracture of the bones of the arm (area from the shoulder to the wrist) and to monitor the healing of the broken bone, after it has been set.
- To detect any infection, osteoporosis, deformities or abnormal growth of the bones.
- To diagnose any suspected arthritis or dislocation of the joints of the arm.
- Pregnant women should inform their doctor (and x-ray technician) as the radiations may affect the fetus. If needed, precautions can be taken to lower the radiation exposure to the fetus.
- You may have to remove your jewelry and any metal objects which might interfere with the image.
- Depending on the area to be imaged, you may be asked to wear a hospital gown at the time of the X-ray.
Patient Concerns about X - Ray Left Arm AP & LAT
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What are the drawbacks of a bone X-ray?
X-ray images give a very clear view of the bones. However, it does not provide a good visual image of the soft tissues like tendons, muscles or fat tissue under the skin. Even the bone microfractures or complicated spine injuries are not clearly visible on the X Ray images. Apart from this, it also exposes the patient to some amount of radiations but the benefit of the information gained from an X-ray image outweighs the risk of radiations.
Q. Who interprets the X-ray results?
The interpretation of an X-Ray image is carried out by a radiologist who analyses or reads the X-ray image and prepares a report of the findings which is shared with the patient.
Seawoods, Navi Mumbai
Way2Health is the largest diagnostic services provider in Navi Mumbai offering a comprehensive range of diagnostic tests across pathology, radiology and cardiology, including CT SCAN, Ultrasound, DIGITAL X-ray, 3D/4D scan, BMD, ECG, TMT, 2D-echo, color doppler, PFT, dental X-ray etc. Founded in 2007 by a team of highly motivated and experienced doctors, Way2Health Diagnostics has grown rapidly and currently comprises of 36 Diagnostic Centres including 11 Comprehensive Diagnostic Centres, 6 Hospital Centres, 4 PPP Centres and 15 B2B Collection Centres. Having served over 6,00,000 Patients and performed over 18,00,000 Diagnostic Tests, Way2Health Diagnostics has established a strong brand name and reputation in its micro-markets.