Overview of Cholesterol - Total
What is Cholesterol - Total?
This test screens your risk of developing heart disease. Get your blood cholesterol tested every five years as a part of preventive health check up. If you have any risk factors for heart disease like smoking, hypertension, family history, diabetes mellitus, then get it done more frequently. You should also get this test done, if you are on lipid lowering medicines.
Why is Cholesterol - Total done?
- As a part of lipid profile or routine health check up
- If you are already a diagnosed case of heart disease
- If you have risk factors for heart disease like cigarette smoking, hypertension, diabetes mellitus or a family history of heart disease
- If you are taking cholesterol lowering medicines
- Ideally, adolts shoold get this test done for screening purposes once every five years
Preparation for Cholesterol - Total
- Do not eat or drink anything other than water for 8-12 hours before the test.
Sample Type for Cholesterol - Total
The sample type collected for Cholesterol - Total is: Blood
Interpreting Cholesterol - Total results
- Cholesterol level below 200mg/dl is considered desirable and reflects low risk of heart disease
- Level between 200-239mg/dl is borderline high and usually signifies moderate risk of heart disease
- Level greater than 240mg/dl is called high and indicates high risk of heart disease