Overview of Hepatitis B s (Surface) Antigen Qualitative
What is Hepatitis B s (Surface) Antigen Qualitative?
This test is ordered when you have signs and symptoms of acute hepatitis like loss of appetite, jaundice, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain. Hepatitis B surface antigen test may be used for screening high risk people like homosexuals, people infected with HIV, pregnant women etc. Sometimes, it may also help in diagnosing chronic hepatitis B infection.
The sample type collected for Hepatitis B s (Surface) Antigen Qualitative is: Blood
Preparation for Hepatitis B s (Surface) Antigen Qualitative
- No special preparation required
Why Get Tested for Hepatitis B s (Surface) Antigen Qualitative?
- If you have signs or symptoms associated with acute hepatitis to determine if they are due to Hepatitis B infection. Various signs and symptoms include fever, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, jaundice, dark urine
- As a follow up test if routine tests like ALT and AST are elevated
- If you are at high risk for chronic Hepatitis B infection like close contact with someone infected with HBV, pregnant woman, if you are infected with HIV, homosexual men
- At a regolar basis to monitor people with chronic hepatitis B infection
What Results of Hepatitis B s (Surface) Antigen Qualitative mean?
The tests for hepatitis B can be ordered individually but usually ordered in combination with other tests
- Positive HBsAg along with positive hepatitis B e antigen tests usually indicate acute infection with the virus and in the infective stage
- Positive hepatitis B surface antigen along with positive core and envelope antibody denotes chronic infection but low risk of infection i.e. carrier state
- Negative HBsAg with positive hepatitits B surface antibody usually indicates no active or prior infection and the individual is not immune
- Negative surface antigen with positive hepatitis B surface antibody denotes that you are immunized against the virus
The CLINICAL LABORATORY of Shahbazker’s Diagnostics Pvt. Ltd., Colaba is the 5th lab in Mumbai & 21st in India to be granted accreditation by NABL, and the 1st Lab in Mumbai and 2nd in India to be accredited under ISO 15189 (specific for medical Laboratories). NABL is a body under the Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India. Its criteria are based on ISO 15189:2007.