Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Glucose - Fasting Blood
This test is used to determine if your blood glucose is normal, to screen and diagnose diabetes and as a part of routine preventive health check up. You should also get this test done if you are pregnant or you are older than 45 years of age and have risk factors for diabetes (like smoking, family history, hyperlipidemia, high blood pressure).
Why Get Tested
- If you have symptoms of high blood sugar like increased appetite, increased thirst, increased urination, blurring of vision
- If you have risk factors for diabetes like high blood pressure, cardiovascolar disease, high cholesterol, obesity or family history of diabetes
- If you are pregnant
- If you are already a diabetic
- As a part of routine preventive health check up
- Do not eat or drink anything other than water for 8-12 hours before the test.
What Results of Glucose - Fasting Blood mean?
- If your fasting blood glucose is between 70-99mg/dl, you are normal at present
- If your fasting blood glucose is between 100-125mg/dl, you are prediabetic (Impaired fasting glucose)
- If your fasting blood glucose is more than 126mg/dl, you have diabetes
Patient Concerns about Glucose - Fasting Blood
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Are there any other conditions except diabetes which can lead to increased or decreased blood sugar?
Other conditions except diabetes which can lead to increased blood sugar levels are: stress, chronic kidney disease, hyperthyroidism, pancreatitis, pancreatic cancer, cushing syndrome, drugs like steroids, anti depressants, epinephrine, estrogen, phenytoin Other conditions which can lead to decreased blood sugar levels are: hypothyroidism, liver disease, starvation
Q. Can I test myself at home to monitor the blood sugar level?
If you are not diabetic, you don’t need to measure your blood sugar at home. If you are already a diabetic, you can buy a home glucose monitor called as a glucometer to check your sugar levels regularly.
The CLINICAL LABORATORY of Shahbazker’s Diagnostics Pvt. Ltd., Colaba is the 5th lab in Mumbai & 21st in India to be granted accreditation by NABL, and the 1st Lab in Mumbai and 2nd in India to beRead More